University of Calgary
UofC Navigation

Student FAQ

Submitted by yayoi.moriguchi on Mon, 03/23/2015 - 1:44pm

Haskayne Information Technology Support would like to ensure that technological barriers are removed from your studies. Please click on a category below to read more. Whether you need questions answered about our computer labs, making copies, buying a personal computer from the UofC Microstore, configuring your email or accessing the internet from within Scurfield hall, we're here to help!

Checklists for New Students

To ensure the least amount of conflict, all students new to the University of Calgary are encouraged to have the following 4 set up.

UofC ID 

Upon being accepted to the University of Calgary, all UofC students will be issued a UofC ID number. The UofC ID number is required to write midterms and final exams. Should a student forget their ID number, please contact Main Campus IT at 403 220 5555.


A UofC IT account is required for students to access the computers on campus. The IT account also grants access to D2L, email, Computer Labs and Syndicate Room (available to undergraduates only) bookings. It also gets you an Office 365 account and campus email mailbox.


An eID will allow access to the MyUofC portal. The portal is where a student will go to enrol into courses, apply for graduation, access services such as email, D2L, Course Evaluations, and view various UofC announcements. The eID will also allow students to connect to the AirUC-Secure.

If any difficulties concerning eIDs, UCIT accounts and UCID numbers occur, please contact Main Campus IT at 403 220 5555 Monday to Friday 8AM to 5PM. or Weekends from 10AM to 2PM. You can also email them at


The Unicard is your UofC ID card. The card is required for final exams, use of campus recreation facilities, and is also used for the Calgary Transit UPass.

Computer Labs, Copying and Printing

Who can use the student computer labs in Scurfield Hall?

The computer labs in Scurfield Hall are open to all University of Calgary students.

When are the labs open?

All three labs are open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Labs may be booked for classes during the daytime and evenings. Please check the schedules posted outside each lab.

Why is there no group work permitted in the labs?

Unfortunately, when the labs were built, they were built for the single user. It gets extremely crowded and noisy when there are several groups crowded around the machines. This policy is relaxed when the labs are not busy. 

Why does it get so crowded in the labs?

More and more business school course work involves the use of lab software to complete assignments and projects. The labs are usually crowded on weekdays from 9am to 5pm.

Why are there so many course bookings in the labs?

Because more and more course work involves the use of lab software, more and more courses are booking the labs to run labs and tutorials for their students.

Why can't I use a computer when the lab is booked and there are a bunch of computers not in use?

When an instructor books a lab, he/she has a choice of booking the lab either exclusively or non-exclusively. When the lab is booked exclusively, only the students registered in that course are permitted to be in the lab. Normally an exclusive booking can only be made if the instructor can guarantee the lab will be at least 75% full. There is the odd exception, however. 

Why are all labs sometimes booked for classes at the same time?

Normally, we try to keep all bookings to Lab 2 (SH 105) so that Lab 1 (SH 183) is open at all times. However, with more and more courses requiring the use of software for course work, the demand for lab time is higher than ever.

How do I print in the labs?

The lab printers are equipped with a Unicard Reader which allows you to pay for print by swiping your card.

Alternatively, please navigate to to print via the web.

What if I encounter software/hardware/printing problems?

If you encounter problems with software, hardware or printing, call 220.5555. A support person will respond as soon as possible.

For print reimbursement please go here:

Can I install my own software on a lab machine?

No. The lab machines are for the most part write-protected. Adding non-approved software could seriously affect the performance of installed applications.

How do I request the installation of software in the computer labs?

If this software is to be used in conjunction with a specific Haskayne School of Business course, then the request should be made by your instructor. If you would like to make a request for generalized software, please make the request in person at the Information Technology Support office (SH 158).

Can I play games in the labs?

No. The labs get too busy to allow anything other than school-related work.

Can I get an internet connection for my laptop in the labs?

No. Please do not unplug a lab machine. This action disrupts the network and may set off a security alarm. There are numerous wired and wireless internet connections located throughout Scurfield Hall.

I'm having problems printing a PDF file. Where can I get more information on PDF files?

Go to UC IT's "Not all PDFs are created equal" notes.

Where can I put more money on my Campus Card?

The following locations will accept funds for the Campus Card:

  • The Business Library in Scurfield Hall
  • First Cup - Social Sciences Foyer
  • Campus Card Automatic Add On Machine 1st Floor MacKimmie Library Link
  • Circulation Desk, MacKimmie (Main) Library 1st Floor MacKimmie Library Tower

Can I pay cash for my print jobs?

The Social Sciences Tri-Lab accepts cash for printing. The Scurfield Hall computer labs and Business Library will not accept cash.

Where is the nearest photocopier?

There are photocopiers in the Business Library.

Selecting a Personal Computer

Is a laptop recommended over a desktop computer?

No. The choice is yours. A laptop computer provides mobility but may be more costly. Scurfield Hall offers internet plug-ins or wireless access for laptop computers in most common areas, classrooms and meeting rooms.

Is there a recommended brand of computer?

No. One thing to keep in mind when purchasing a computer is how easy will it be to get hardware/software service if required.

  • PC Users

All specialized software used for Haskayne course work is supported by Windows.

  • Mac Users

Some specialized software used for Haskayne course work is not Mac compatible. If you have or will purchase a Mac you will need to use one of the 2 Scurfield Hall UNDG computer labs.

Is there a recommended configuration?

No. It would be ideal, however, to cover at least two years of technology change with the configuration you select. Generally, if you are purchasing new, you will not be underpowered. The Haskayne School of Business uses Intel-based computing technologies.

Is there any particular software I should have?

  • Microsoft Office. A free license is provided with your Office 365 account.
  • An effective and free anti-virus can be obtained from Microsoft and is called Microsoft Security Essentials.
  • A current version of a web browser.
  • You will also be provided with a University IT computing account to use while you are a student at the University.

Office 365

What is the email storage quota?

Presently students receive 50GB of email storage with Office 365

Can I use a different e-mail account?

No, email forwarding is not enabled as part of your Office365 account.

How do I configure my computer at home to access my campus e-mail?

You can read your e-mail from home using one of several options. Click here for more information on Office 365.

What if I forget my IT computing account user name or password?

Click here to reset your password.

Which mailing list am I on?

Mailing lists are used by faculty, staff and other students to send important program information to you. The MBA mailing lists reside on the campus mailman system and are administered by the MBA Program Office (220-8766). Executive MBA students' mailing lists are maintained by the eMBA office (220-8828).

Once you receive your campus e-mail address, you will be subscribed to the mailing list appropriate to your year in the program. The MBA mailing lists are not published on this web site. Please contact the MBA Program Office for more information. Click here for more information on campus mailing lists in general.

Emergency Communication

The University of Calgary is committed to creating a safe and healthy living and learning environment.  The health and safety of our employees, students and the general public are the highest priority of the University of Calgary's Emergency Management Program. 

Our emergency preparedness measures shall ensure a timely and appropriate response to emergencies to protect the safety of our employees, students, and the general public, as well as property and the environment, from any harm that may occur.  You can also download the UCalgary Emergency App for your smartphone.

To find out more and to sign up, click here.

Maps and Parking

Where is my classroom?

Students can find their way around campus by using the various maps found on the UCMAPS page. The map is interactive. 3D flythrough maps can also be obtained there as well. A list of the various building abbreviations and their respective addresses can be obtained from the Building Search List.

Where can I park my car?

The UCMAPS page displays the various parking lots available on campus. Parking permits can be obtained by navigating to