Participants who attend this course will learn to:
- Gain an in-depth understanding of the real estate development sector, project delivery models, contracts, and their parties
- Recognize dynamic variables that impact project execution conditions and context
- Outline sectoral subgroup profiling, differentiating features, and fundamental building systems
- Compare and contrast the seven distinct states of a development life cycle
- Describe the roles and responsibilities of a development manager
- Analyze case studies to practice using critical management platforms to underwrite and execute projects with corresponding project funding/financing structures and conditions
Participants come from a variety of fields including real estate development, banking, government, architecture, planning and engineering. The program is aimed for those who aspire to work in field of real estate development, expand understanding of the development process, and benefit from local expertise, perspectives and gain hands-on experience.
Iain G. McCorkindale has over two decades of experience in the real estate development sector and carries the professional accreditations of MRICS, PQS, and LEED AP©. Following an apprenticeship with Rolls Royce plc. where he earned his Sheet Metal Worker Journeyman papers, Iain enrolled at Glasgow’s Caledonian University and graduated in 1998 with a First Class B.Sc. (Hons.) Quantity Surveying Degree. Iain was then recruited by Helyar & Associates (now Altus Group) where he spent eight years in their Toronto Office, before moving with his family to Calgary in 2006 to start their construction cost management practice where he led a very successful team that serviced the Prairies. In terms of projects, Iain has worked on over 200 projects across the full asset class spectrum and provided advisory services for project lenders, developers, owners, and tenants across Canada and in select US locations. In 2011, Iain joined a prominent local real estate Owner / Developer where he built and led an in-house team focused on developing mixed-use projects. In mid-2016, Iain formed M3 Development Management Ltd. which is actively providing turnkey development and project management services on many prominent and large-scale projects in Calgary and throughout the Province of Alberta.