Business Advising (January 30 - February 2, 2017)
We’re looking for creative business advisors who are interested to work with newly formed student teams as they start out with their business concept project.
At this stage the teams will have worked for a week on identifying a compelling problem to solve, and will be looking for your feedback and guidance. As a business advisor you will visit the class for a 3 hour period and meet with 8 teams for 10 minutes each. During those consultations you will be asked to provide feedback based on these questions:
- Has the group identified a clear problem to be solved?
- Does the group have a clear customer segment to target?
- What should the students do during the next week before moving on to a solution?
Pitch Advising (February 27 – March 2, 2017)
At this stage of the course, the student teams will have identified a compelling problem to solve and worked for a few weeks to develop a preliminary lean business model canvas. Each team will have an opportunity to pitch the core of their idea in front of the whole class (including advisors) for 3-minutes and the advisors will then provide direct feedback to each team. As pitch advisors, you will be asked to provide feedback based on these questions:
- Is there a clear opportunity that the team is focused on?
- Is the customer segment narrowed down to the correct ‘Early Adopters’?
- How innovative is the solution?
- Does the team have a clear competitive advantage in the marketplace? What is the overall effectiveness of the presentation?
Semi-Final In-Class Judging (April 3 - 6, 2017)
Every student team from the lecture will compete in class to earn their spot in the RBC Fast Pitch Competition. This change has been made to encourage each team to see their projects through until the end of the course.
This year’s presentations have been shortened to 3 minutes each, leaving more time for questions and feedback from our judges.
As judges, you will be asked to evaluate the teams on the following criteria:
- Value Proposition
- Customer Segment and Market
- Revenue Model and Ask