Here undergraduates can discover the requirements of computing at the University of Calgary. Information about lab hours, printing, and available software found in the undergraduate labs can be found here. As well as information about the syndicate labs.
NOTE: The Scurfield Hall computer labs are currently closed for student access. Labs, study areas, and printing are unavailable. The lab computers are available for remote desktop connections using a personal computer.
The Haskayne School of Business houses two student computer labs open to all University of Calgary students located in SH 105 and SH 183. Open 24 hours per day, 7 days per week, the workstations in the labs offer access to both general purpose software and Haskayne School of Business course specific software.
Open access to the Scurfield Hall labs may be limited if the labs are booked by instructors for classes. Weekly bookings are posted near the entry doors.
Remote Lab Computer Access
While campus is secured, Scurfield Hall lab computers are available to students for remote access.
Students need to connect using the FortiClient General Purpose VPN to view the remote computer lab access webpage. Follow the instructions on the page to connect to an available lab computer using Microsoft Remote Desktop for Mac or PC.
The Undergraduate computer labs offer access to a number of the Business Library's collection of databases. In addition, the following general software applications and area specific software are offered.
Installed Standard Software
- Microsoft Office Pro 2016
- Microsoft Project Pro 2016
- Microsoft Visio 2016
- Internet Explorer
- Mozilla Firefox
- Google Chrome
Installed Course Specific Software
- Accumap: Lab 2 (SH 105)
- ArcGIS: Lab 1 (SH 183) and Lab 2 (SH 105)
- Arena: Lab 2 (SH 105)
- CSLand: Lab 2 (SH 105)
- GeoScout: Lab 2 (SH 105)
- Interactive Trader 2.0 Client: Lab 1 (SH 183) and Lab 2 (SH 105)
- Microsoft PowerBI Desktop
- Microsoft SQL Server Tools: Lab 2 (SH 105)
- Palisade Decision Tools: Lab 1 (SH 183) and Lab 2 (SH105)
- ProFile: Lab 2 (SH 105)
- R: Lab 1 (SH 183) and Lab 2 (SH 105)
- RapidMiner Studio: Lab 1 (SH 183) and Lab 2 (SH 105)
- RetScreen Expert: Lab 1 (SH 183)
- Sage 50: Lab 2 (SH 105)
- SPSS: Lab 1 (SH 183) and Lab 2 (SH105)
- Tableau: Lab 1 (SH 183) and Lab 2 (SH 105)
Printing in the Labs
Laser printing in the Scurfield Hall labs is available for a fee. Students will need to be in possession of a valid Unicard and will need to have funds registered on the card. Printing is charged at
- 8¢ per page for black & white
- 20¢ per page for colour
How to Print
- Submit your print job from your workstation.
- At the printer console use the mouse to select your print job(s) which will be identified by your username.
- NOTE: You can select multiple print jobs for simultaneous release.
- Swipe your Campus Card in the card reader located next to the printer.
- Click on "print jobs" button in lower right corner to release your print job(s).
Alternatively, you can print wirelessly by navigating to http://print.ucalgary.ca/
For more on printing, please see the Student Frequently Asked Questions page.
Syndicate Room Booking
ONLY Haskayne School of Business UNDERGRADUATE students have the required ID card access enabled to access the Scurfield Hall syndicate rooms.
Valid UC IT account
Ensure that you have a valid UC IT Account. You will need your account information to log into the Booking System.
If you are unsure about your IT Account contact UC IT Support Center @ 403.220.5555
Security & ID Card Access
- Your student ID card gives you access to the Syndicate rooms from 7:00am to 10:00pm each day.
- Test your student ID card on one of the empty. Syndicate Rooms by swiping it across the card reader.
- IF it works you are good to go ahead and book a room online.
- IF it does NOT work then go to:
- Undergraduate Program Office (SH 358) for help activating your card.
- NOTE: Activating your ID card for secure access may take up to 48 hours.
Note: Bookings for Courses/Lectures and Career Centre interviews take precedence over student bookings. Your booking may be cancelled when a Course or Career Centre interview bookings are required. Student(s) will be contacted via email if a booking is cancelled.
By securing a booking you agree to the following rules of etiquette:
- Each student is allowed 1 booking per week.
- Rooms may be booked for a maximum of 2 hours per day, 7 days in advance.
- Bookings are made on the hour
REGULAR VERIFICATION OF THE ADHERENCE TO THESE RULES WILL BE DONE. FAILURE TO ABIDE BY THESE RULES WILL RESULT IN A REVOCATION OF YOUR ABILITY TO BOOK A SYNDICATE ROOM FOR 12 MONTHS. REMEMBER, THIS IS A RESOURCE FOR ALL HASKAYNE STUDENTS. PLEASE ALLOW OTHERS THE SAME OPPORTUNITY.
Every individual or group is responsible for maintaining the Syndicate Rooms in a clean and neat fashion. Any individual found vandalizing, disturbing others, refusing to vacate, or choosing to leave the room in poor condition WILL lose future privileges.
- Chairs must remain in the rooms.
- No food in the rooms.
- Rooms must be left as clean or cleaner than you found it. Rooms are cleaned once per week.
Secure your belongings! Your online reservations does not give you exclusive access to the room, other Haskayne staff/students & visitors with activated ID cards can enter your room. If you must leave the room, do NOT leave valuables in the room.
The door is alarmed and cannot be held open longer than 20 seconds otherwise Campus Security will come. To shut off the alarm, close the door.
You can find help ...
from 8:30am - 4:30pm call 403.220.6743 or go to SH 302, the Career Centre for assistance.
after hours call Campus Security at 403.220.5333