Letter of Permission

Current Students - Undergraduate

University of Calgary students completing a degree program require permission from their home Faculty to register in courses offered at another post-secondary institution.


Haskayne School of Business students in good standing are eligible to submit a Letter of Permission request to attend another post-secondary institution for one term, and receive transfer credit to be applied to their BComm degree program upon their return.

Students completing courses on a Letter of Permission in their last term prior to graduation should be aware of the transcript deadline; graduation may be delayed if transcripts are not received by the deadline.

Official University of Calgary transcripts will only record the name of the post-secondary institution and the total number of credits transferred. Students should refer to the ‘Transfer Credit Report’ available on their Student Centre for a detailed listing of their transfer courses.


1. Haskayne students should consult with a Haskayne program specialist prior to submitting their Letter of Permission request. Detailed course outlines may be required to determine course transferability. For institutions in Alberta, students should first consult the Alberta Transfer Guide: http://transferalberta.alberta.ca. Please note: credit information in the Alberta Transfer Guide is not guaranteed.

2. Students must receive Faculty approval prior to registering at the selected institution, and should submit their request at least two weeks in advance of the approval being required. The request form is located online on the Student Centre. Each request per semester requires a non-refundable $25.00 processing fee, payable online by credit card.

3. Students are responsible for arranging to have a final official transcript mailed to the University of Calgary Registrar’s Office once they complete their course(s). A transcript will be required whether course(s) are successfully completed or not. Proof of non-enrollment is also required if the student does not proceed with taking course(s).


1. Letter of Permission Course(s):

  • Only non-commerce options may be taken for credit on a non-exchange Letter of Permission. First year required pre-requisite courses and all other business courses must be completed at the University of Calgary.
  • Repeat courses are not permitted on a Letter of Permission.
  • Good standing is a requirement for approval. A Letter of Permission will not be approved while a student is on probation at the University of Calgary.
  • Courses must be started in the same term that the request is granted.

2. Students currently on a Co-op Work Term placement must receive prior approval from the Co-op Coordinator to take one 3.0 credit course while working.

3. Transcripts must be received by the University of Calgary before registration can take place in upper-level courses requiring prerequisites taken elsewhere.