Facilities and Operations

The Haskayne School of Business Facilities and Operations office works with many areas of the building to coordinate facility updates. The goal is to create an effective work and teaching and learning environment within Scurfield Hall. Should there be an issue with the building, we ask that you email facilities@haskayne.ucalgary.ca and we will work with campus services to correct the issue. Please note that due to the high volume of work, some requests are completed quickly while others may take up to a year to complete.

Our office manages the onboarding processes, ServiceNow requests (for ITS, phones, moves), renovations and building upgrades, building spaces, furnishings, and much more. 

If you have any questions or requests please contact our office at facilities@haskayne.ucalgary.ca.



In the event of an EMERGENCY dial 220-5333 for Campus Security or dial 9-1-1 for Police, Fire or Ambulance.  For more information visit the University’s Emergency Plan website.

  • The calls that originate from the University exchange all show up on the 911 system as the U of Calgary main switchboard number, 220-5110, with an address of Scurfield Hall. Callers to 911 need to identify their location to the emergency responders regardless if they are at the Downtown Campus, Spy Hill or Main Campus.
  • As a safety feature, the telephone system automatically sends an e-mail to Campus Security, main campus, to advise a 911 call has been initiated. CS (Campus Security) then knows the room location of the caller. This email is only acted on by CS if the 911 caller hangs up or if the police phone to ascertain the precise location of the caller if the call was interrupted or if the emergency impacted the call.

The University of Calgary has placed automated external defibrillators (AEDs) throughout the University for use by untrained individuals in the event of another person experiencing a cardiac malfunction (suspected heart attack).

Automated External Defibrillator (AED) Locations nearby

  • Scurfield Hall:  2nd (main) floor on the wall near fire panel outside SH202
  • Murray Fraser Hall:  2nd-floor wall by help phone adjacent to Law Library
  • Professional Faculties: Mezzanine level, the white pillar near Soup Link
  • Education Block:  Main floor, under Assembly Point sign, by room 179
  • An AED is a portable device designed to be simple-to-use by untrained individuals and once turned on, an automated voice will direct the user in clear easy to understand terms. However, the units alone cannot save a person. 9-1-1 must be called as soon as possible.
  • Click HERE to view an instructional video on the Philips HeartStart OnSite Defibrillator.

Call Campus Security’s 24-hour help line at 403-220-5333

The University of Calgary is excited to announce that the UC Emergency app is now available in app stores for Android, Blackberry and iOS devices. In the event of an emergency on campus, it is crucial to receive information quickly. UC Emergency is a tool to help keep you safe by sending timely notifications to your smartphone.
We encourage you to download UC Emergency today. Once downloaded from your app store, simply login using your University of Calgary IT account credentials. Be sure to enable push notifications as you log in to allow the university to send you emergency alerts.
For more information including a list of FAQs, please visit UC Emergencu Mobile site.  
This app is an important initiative to stay in contact with students, staff and faculty in the event of an emergency. Be sure to share this app with your colleagues.
-Elizabeth Cannon President

First Aid kits are refilled every year. The Facilities office will send out a notification when this will occur and will direct you in the next steps you need to take. First Aid kits are located with each Area Admin, Reception, and in the Staff Lounge. 

  • All of the Fire Wardens are volunteers and as such we extend our deep thanks to them for taking the extra time to keep current on all the policies and procedures.
  • Orientation for the Fire Wardens occurs in the Fall of every year.
  • Emergency Warden Training - Online Course Link:  Under ‘Come JOIN US today, there is a link that will take you to the Learning site. You may sign up and take the course at any time and you have seven days to complete this course.

Our emergency muster point is at the food court in the EDC building. Fire Wardens: please remember to check in with your senior warden at the front of Scurfield Hall and indicate that your area is clear. You can do so by telling the senior warden "area colour & floor, CLEAR!" All other staff and faculty are required to go to the designated muster point until the "all clear" has been given by the Fire Marshall. 

For information about the fire wardens in your building, fire warden manual, or to update your own fire warden information, please follow this link

Please visit the Occupational Health and Safety Management System website

In addition to the link above, you can view the responsibilities identified for ‘All Employees’, ‘Contractors’ and the new ‘Visitor Health and Safety Standard’ which is available on the EHS website at the following link: OHSMS

Listed below are a few tips that can be used when you have Incoming/Outgoing Faculty and Staff.  Once you have confirmed a space (by the Operations & Facilities Manager) it may take Operations/Facilities a month to execute the required operations. Please contact the Operations and Facilities Manager as soon as you know about the incoming person and work with our office on logistics. 

What we need from you:

  • First name, last name, UCID# - by giving our office this information as soon as you receive it, we can begin working on preparing your new employee with keys, phones, computers, and card access. 
  • Do you require a desktop or a laptop? Please note that due to limited availability, laptops must have a business reason for use before they can be issued.
  • If your hire is a contract employee and their term has been extended, please let our office know. Failure to do so may result in our office beginning the offboarding process with the employee's original end date! 

All onboarding/offboarding instructions for employees can be found at http://www.ucalgary.ca/hr/

If you require an ergonomic assessment, please complete the following steps:

  1. Ensure you have completed the Ergonomics training through the UofC Portal
  2. Email the Operations & Facilities Manager with your request. Please remember to include your reports-to manager in this email.
  3. A member of our team will reach out and coordinate with you to arrange a date and time for your assessment.

After your Assessment:

After your assessment, our team will receive a copy of your ergonomic assessment. It is important to remember that our office does not view any confidential or medical information and this is only shared between you and the ergonomic assessor.
We use the assessment results to schedule any moves, adjustments to your workspace, or installation of recommended items from your assessment. 

To learn more about the University of Calgary Ergonomics Process, please visit the UofC Wellness site

New Contessa chair video: Link

Livello up/down tables here and here.

Astra 3 Double Arm Desk Light instructions 

ReMARKable whiteboard paint care tip sheet 

Varidesk mat info sheet

Scurfield Hall is officially open from 6:00am to 10:00pm, although the building is often open for extended hours beyond those noted. Office areas are locked before 8:30am and after 4:30pm Monday to Friday and on weekends. If you require early access to the building, please contact facilities@haskayne.ucalgary.ca with your first name, last name, UCID#, and the reason for early access. Note that access requests may take up to 3 business days to activate and weekly access requests are submitted every Friday.

If you need access to the building when it is locked and you do not have card access, contact Campus Security 24-hour Help Line at 403-220-5333. You will need to show your UCID card to gain access.


Facilities has an inventory of keys for the building. If you are new to Haskayne, please contact Haskayne Facilities (facilities@haskayne.ucalgary.ca) to receive your set of keys and fill out the appropriate paperwork.

If you lose your keys - don't panic. Come and visit the Operations/Facilities office and speak to the Facilities Advisor, Jane Brown. She will work with you on the next steps required to take with campus security and we will issue you a new set of keys. It is important that our office is notified of any missing keys so that we can inform Campus Security. They will then monitor compromised areas. Failure to notify our office can result in an increase of theft. 


Our office works to update the card access in Scurfield Hall every semester. If you are a teaching faculty in a card access space, please have HSB timetabling notify us via email (facilities@haskayne.ucalgary.ca) and we can grant you card access for the semester.

If you are a student who cannot access required spaces, please contact us via email and we will request this for you.

Please note that due to high volumes of card access requests, Campus Security requires a minimum of 3 business days to complete the request. 

If a phone number has not already been assigned to your space but you see a phone in your space, dial *81 and this will give you the telephone number. Along with the telephone number, you will be given a password that was assigned to you by University Telecommunications when your phone was requested. This password is needed to access your voicemail messages. You should change the system generated password to one you will remember. To change your password, dial 403-220-8100 and follow the instructions.

For any problems, please contact facilities@haskayne.ucalgary.ca.

Are you having troubles with figuring out how your telephone system works? You can find a chart map here. If you need to find out the phone number that belongs to your phone, press *81.

If you have a single-line telephone set, a manual can be found here

If you have a double-line telephone set, a manual can be found here

All Scurfield telephones use the University’s voice mail system. This service provides voice mail pickup after the third ring, pick-up with a message while on the telephone, or if away from the office for an extended time, an “extended absence” greeting can be set. You can save (archive) messages for a period of 7 to 30 days.

To access your voice mail messages from your office phone, or anywhere else, just dial *98 from your office phone or any other phone on campus. You will be prompted for your password before you can access your messages (dial “1”). If dialling from somewhere other than on-campus, dial 403-220-8100 and press the # key-the follow the prompts to key in your telephone number and password.

If you forget what services are available, dial 403- 220-8100 and follow the Help Guide.

Those persons without a Caller ID style phone can distinguish between a call coming from outside the University (1 single long ring) and those from internally (2 shorter rings). Many faculties use this to manage incoming calls, particularly during weeks of student take-home assignments, exams, etc.

VoIP Voicemail to email Set-up –

VoIP Voicemail is an optional service provided with all campus VoIP telephones. Voicemail allows callers to leave spoken messages which you can retrieve later.

If you have questions on your phone or are having problems with your phone, please contact facilities@haskayne.ucalgary.ca.

Conference Phones - All boardrooms have conference phones. There is a Scurfield Hall Polycom Teleconference Phone 'Tip Sheet' located by each conference phone that includes instruction to book the room as well as how to use the phone. The tip sheet can also be located here

Call BELL at #1-800-268-9072

This is a 24hour/day 7 days/week service.

You will be asked for the following information:

  • Moderator’s Office # and University of Calgary address
  • Moderator’s name, email and phone number

Bell will provide the teleconference number and if desired, will provide Operator Assisted teleconferencing.

Download Polycom Teleconference Phone document.

We do not keep a stock of office furnishings on hand. If you require additional furnishings for your office, submit a request with Facilities at facilities@haskayne.ucalgary.ca. The Operations and Facilities Manager will take the request into consideration. Please note that we work to replace the oldest furnishings first. 

If your furnishing request is approved, it can take up to 4-months upon ordering for arrival. We order furnishings to be designed, made, shipped to Calgary, and then trucked to our building. 

The layout of a single and double office can be viewed here.

  • Office Décor – UofC requires offices to have UofC furnishings and paint. Painting HSB rooms or disposing of furnishings is prohibited. Heaters, fans, coffee machines, hot plates, candles or open flames are not allowed as they often blow the fuses or may cause fires.

Office signage is available in the templates folder on the S-Drive. Your Area Administrator or Teaching and Learning Coordinator will be able to assist you.

The University’s Facilities Management Department is responsible for caretaking on campus. They set out and perform specific cleaning tasks as per their schedules. To view the most up-to-date chart of the University’s Caretaking Standards, please visit their Caretaking Service Level Standards page.

If you need additional caretaking coverage or if the following standards are not met, contact Facilities at facilities@haskayne.ucalgary.ca

Campus Security can open any classrooms on campus. If you find yourself locked out of a room you are teaching in, during or after office hours, contact Campus Security at 403-220-5333.

The following guidelines provide departments with an overview of how to prepare for an office move in Scurfield Hall.  Please note:  moves less than 2 hours in duration are handled by the SCM Furnishing Team (UofC) and many HSB moves are grouped into one 2-hour time slot. Facilities, IT, and Telecom require notification of 1 month (if possible) prior to the move.

The layout of a single and double office can be viewed here.

It is critical that you are prepared:

  1. All packing must be completed 1 day prior to the move.
  2. All items to be moved must be labelled. If you have permission to move filing cabinets, they need to be locked and you will be notified if they have to be cleared. Items not labelled will not be moved.
  3. Boxes can be ordered by Area Administrators through Grand & Toy.  Facilities may have a few boxes on site.
  4. Personal items should be taken home and returned to the new office on completion of the move, i.e.: small plants, pictures, etc. Movers will not be responsible for breakage or loss of personal items.
  5. Do not move your desk without consulting with HSB Facilities as we need to ensure all office furnishings meet fire and safety code.
  6. Whiteboards and corkboards should be left on the wall, or if they are to be moved, an I-request (Work Request) should be completed. Advise HSB Operations/Facilities if you intend to do this, and we can submit this request on your behalf. 
  7. Telecom will move your phone and provide a temporary password if needed. Operations/Facilities will arrange this. 
  8. Do NOT paint your office or supply your own furnishings.
    1. After the move, please return any empty moving boxes to the Operations/Facilities office.
    2. Dispose of all garbage - you may borrow the vacuum from HSB Operations/Facilities, however, you are responsible for emptying it after each use.
    3. Please return un-needed keys to the Operations/Facilities office.

HSB Facilities tracks your name, keys, location, phone, etc. online for University and Emergency Information.

The Work Request system (I-request) is a simple way to request a service from Facilities Management on campus. Completed forms go directly to our Customer Care Representatives, who review them and pass them on to the appropriate department or service area. The form is located under My UofC under ‘Quick Links, Report a facility issue’. You may also find the link under your ‘My UofC, About Me, My Space, Report a faculty issue’.

You can also request that a work request is submitted through our office by emailing your concern to facilities@haskayne.ucalgary.ca

Why would I need to submit a work request?

Archibus is the software used to submit work requests at the University of Calgary. You need to submit a work request via the Archibus system if you have basic requirements with regard to temperature control, broken locks, minor facilities problems or any caretaking issues.

  1. Go to http://archives.ucalgary.ca/forms/shredInfo and fill out the “Confidential Shredding Services Order Form - MAIN CAMPUS AND FACULTY OF VETERINARY MEDICINE” form.
  2. Once your shredding request has been approved you will receive notification of the approval. You will then be asked to submit another form/ set of forms. This second form/ set of forms will go with the boxes of material to be shredded. This second form needs to be signed by your shredding coordinator. The HSB shredding coordinators are Area Administrators, HSB Reception, and Operations Administrator. 
  3. You can get boxes from your Area Administrator or you can order them from the Archives website. 
  4. Our shredding contact is Suzanne Ell (sell@ucalgary.ca). She will let you know when you can expect your shredding to be picked up.
  5. If you have any questions, please check with your shredding coordinator.

Where can I park?

***Rates subject to change***

The closest parking lots to Scurfield Hall are Lot 30, 31, 32 and 34.

  • Lot 30: meant for short-term parking
  • Lot 31: Reserved for permit holders from 8:30am - 3:30pm weekdays. The lot is available for public parking weekdays after 3:30pm and on weekends for $8
  • Lot 32: $7 (or $5 carpool- 3 or more people) one-time entry
  • Lot 34: For permit holders only

Visit http://www.ucalgary.ca/parking/ for more information 

How do I get a parking permit?

Please note that there is a one to two-year waiting list for on-campus parking, depending on your requested lot. Where possible, the Area Administrator for your area will contact Parking and Transportation Services to put your name on the list when you accept your employment offer. If you already have your UCID#, you will still need an ID card before you can get a parking permit. You will also need to check with Parking and Transportation Services when you arrive on campus to see where you are on the parking wait list.

For more information, visit: http://www.ucalgary.ca/parking/parkingpermits

How do I purchase a parking day-pass for guests?

A single entry parking pass is available for visiting lecturers, guests or guest speakers. The voucher is for use in any pay-lot.

To order several guest passes ahead of time, please fill out this form and submit to Parking and Transportation Services at parking@ucalgary.ca.