Build a strong foundation of knowledge about the real estate industry in Alberta. Develop the skills and competencies to succeed in your first licensing exam on your journey to become a real estate associate in the specialized areas of property management, commercial real estate, residential real estate or rural real estate.
Delivery format: Online, self-paced
- 70-120 hours based on learners' existing knowledge, experience in the industry and active engagement with learner supports
- Learners can expect to spend at least 3 hours per week working through the course units
- Learners have a maximum of 6 months to complete the self-paced course
Fundamentals of Real Estate is your first step to prepare for RECA’s Fundamentals of Real Estate licensing exam. This course will solidify your understanding of the history of real estate and the competencies and skills required of real estate associates in Alberta. Learn through flexible, self-paced units that integrate comprehensive written content with real-life case studies based on the RECA-defined learning outcomes and real estate competencies.
Each unit incorporates interactive knowledge checks to test your retention and understanding of key concepts relevant to the Fundamentals of Real Estate licensing exam. These culminate in self-assessment practice quizzes every unit that simulate RECA exam-style questions. Learners must pass these practice quizzes to complete the course and demonstrate thorough review of the provided learning materials.
Once enrolled, learners will have 6 months to complete the course at their own pace. After passing the RECA Fundamentals of Real Estate licensing exam, learners select an area of practice and proceed with the corresponding course in commercial, property management, residential or rural real estate, to further apply what you learned in the fundamentals level.
Additional benefits of the Haskayne learning experience:
- Maintain access to digital course materials for up to one year for continuous reference while employed as a licensed industry professional
- Engage with a network of co-learners, companies, partners and fellow Haskayne School of Business alumni across the Alberta real estate community
- Build upon course learning through a variety of exclusive industry and academic engagement events through the Westman Centre for Real Estate Studies
- Learn about employment opportunities in Alberta real estate through the Westman Centre for Real Estate Studies’ network
Investment: $899 per participant
This investment includes:
- Nine online units
- Access to self-paced, digital course content, case studies, and knowledge checks (for up to one year) based on RECA-defined learning outcomes and associate competencies
- Timely assistance for any technical or program coordination questions
- Access to an active industry representative for any content questions
- Certificate of completion from the Haskayne School of Business and REDI Canada
Are you a UCalgary alumni? You’re eligible for a 10% registration discount.
- Achieve competencies outlined by RECA for Fundamentals of Real Estate
- Strengthen foundation of essential knowledge from Fundamentals level by applying learning to case studies and activities
- Build your network in the Alberta real estate industry and learn about employment opportunities in Alberta real estate through the Westman Centre network
- Attain a certificate of course completion from REDI Canada and Haskayne School of Business the highest-respected business school among the Alberta real estate industry
Haskayne School of Business and REDI Canada work closely with several industry organizations and experts to connect learners with active industry licensees and experts when content questions arise.
Learners have ongoing access to experts who can answer questions, explain concepts, or identify additional tips for implementing learning in your real estate practice.
Partner organization experts include:
- BOMA Calgary
- NAIOP Calgary
- Liv Real Estate
- Royal LePage Benchmark
Learners can advance at their own pace, however, they can expect to invest at least 3 hours per week reviewing content and completing knowledge checks.
Individuals looking to start their journey to achieve a RECA licence in any of the following areas:
- Commercial real estate
- Property management
- Residential real estate
- Rural real estate
Together, completion of the Fundamentals of Real Estate and one practice-level course meets the pre-licensing education requirements to become a real estate associate in commercial, property management, residential or rural real estate.
Learn more about the real estate industry and RECA’s licensing processes here
These courses are developed in partnership by the Westman Centre for Real Estate Studies and the Real Estate Development Institute (REDI) and are delivered by Haskayne Executive Education.
For more information on the course offerings, please contact email@example.com