Full-time and immersive
The Master of Management (MMgmt) is a full-time immersive program. Learn with a diverse cohort and move through the entire program with the same group of classmates. Cohorts are made up of recent grads who have non-business bachelor degrees, from science to arts to engineering to kinesiology and more. The cohort approach teaches you how to work with an interdisciplinary team and helps to expand your perspectives. By the end of the program you'll graduate with new friends and a diverse network of connections.
The MMgmt is a fast paced 10-month program that will expose you to business essentials. Topics covered include business strategy, entrepreneurship and innovation, finance and accounting, information technology, marketing, organizational behaviour, operations and supply chain management. Get ready for an exciting time filled with in-class group projects and presentations, decision-making simulations, guest speakers and more!
What will I learn?
*Subject to change.
- Intro to Business - introduction to the functional areas of business and their integration for the effective and efficient operation of organizations.
- Business Analytics - analytical tools and techniques for managerial decision, and their application to decision scenarios that parallel common business decisions.
- Working with People - exploration of employment in different types of organizations such as public vs. private sector vs. not-for-profit.
- Business Communications - gain an understanding of clear and concise written and verbal communications, development and presentation of a business case, and management of stakeholder expectations through digital and face-to-face communication techniques.
- Financial Accounting - introduction to accounting for business organizations emphasizing the preparation and use of financial statements for decision-making purposes.
- Intro to Finance - basic analytical tools and theoretical foundations for financial decisions, including topics in financial markets and instruments, time value of money, valuation of assets and projects, corporate financing policy, and financial risk management.
- Operations & Supply Chain Integration - technology infrastructure, collaborations in business-to-business relationships, and customization in business to client relationships.
- IT Management - builds a basic understanding of IT infrastructure, how infrastructure influences business processes, and managerial issues associated with IT implementation.
- Strategic Marketing - introduction to traditional marketing concepts such as segmentation, positioning, product development, and pricing. Other topics include omnichannel marketing, permission and inbound marketing, personalization and customer relationship management, and content marketing.
- Thinking Like an Entrepreneur - identify opportunities by applying research and analytical tools. Other topics include design thinking and business modelling.
- IT for Value Innovations - examines organizational IT strategy and business opportunities created by rapidly evolving information technologies.
- Managerial Accounting - introduction to the use of accounting within an organizational context. Emphasis placed on the development and dissemination of accounting information necessary for effective management.
- Consumer Insights - provides practical insights into all aspects of the marketing mix. Emphasis on measurement, testing, and interpretation of consumer responses in area such as perception, motivation, decision making, and consumer culture.
- Navigating the Organization - development of negotiation, power and influence, politics, and conflict resolution skills leading to increased effectiveness with internal and external stakeholders.
- Special Topics in Finance - introduction to modern financial tools including: entrepreneurial finance, investment management, financial institutions, mergers & acquisitions, capital raising and investment banking. Other topics include blockchain and bitcoin, equity crowdfunding and peer-to-peer lending, robo-advisors, big data in finance and early-stage financing.
- Strategic Analysis - introduction to the key concepts, tools, and principles of strategy formulation and competitive analysis.
- Technologies of Innovation - focuses on the use of leading edge technology for innovation, entrepreneurship and automation in different organizational contexts. Special emphasis on web-based software such as SaaS tools.
Choose between course electives OR paid internship elective.
Course electives from prior years (duration is three weeks each):
- Storytelling with Data - examines how data visualizations are critical for understanding the messages the data is trying to communicate and ensuring the right visuals are crafted to deliver insights to stakeholders.
- International Business - explore strategic challenges of managing and operating within an international business environment, features of the international environment and their potential implications at a firm level, strategies for firms competing in international markets, and operational tactics employed in functional areas.
- Business Law - principal substantive subjects include the administrative and regulatory process, business contracts, employment and labour, business organizations and negligence.
- Leadership - examines leadership theories and delves into concepts that leaders must consider when making decisions and implementing strategy.
Internship elective (duration is three months):
- Work Integrated Learning - gain practical and paid work experience to help build your communication skills, professionalism on the job and develop a network of contacts. This is a 12-week full-time internship. Students are responsible for securing their own internship, however the Career Development Centre will provide support and guidance.
Note: if you are taking the internship elective, you will have to take one week off work to attend the Session 7 - Capstone course.
- Capstone - Integrated Decision Making - students have the opportunity to demonstrate the culmination of their learning at the end of their Master of Management program. By working with an organization, students have the opportunity to design and implement an integrated solution to a strategic issue.
Hear from a few of your instructors
Professional development is embedded into the MMgmt program. With a dedicated career coach and work experience opportunities available the MMgmt program will help you achieve your career goals.
There are many career paths that our MMgmt alumni have taken. To help you explore career options and to prepare you for job search and interviews, Haskayne offers the Catalyst Career Development Program with a dedicated career coach.
If you're interested in gaining paid work experience, check out the Propel Business Project or Internship elective.
At Haskayne, learning takes place in and beyond the classroom. Explore the different experiential opportunities available to you to enrich your MMgmt experience.
Join a case competition
Get involved and join a case competition. There are local, national and international competitions to participate in. Not only do you get to expand your network and meet students from other schools, you also get to apply your classroom learning, present to a panel typically made up of industry professionals and bolster your resume.
Student Experience Fund
Students can apply for funding through the Haskayne Student Experience Fund to help reduce financial barriers to participate in development opportunities or student experiences. Learn more about the types of opportunities and experiences that are eligible.
Get involved with the Master of Management Society
The Master of Management Society is a student-led club with a mission to create new and memorable experiences for MMgmt students. Attend their events to meet MMgmt students from other cohorts. Or get involved by joining the MMgmt Society's executive team.
Learn beyond the classroom and get involved
Haskayne is home to numerous centres of excellence dedicated to providing students with opportunities to attend events, meet business leaders, gain mentorship, network and learn about specialized business areas. See all the experiential learning opportunities Haskayne has to offer.