The detailed content schedule for the current program is in the program brochure.
Program Delivery: Online
Location: University of Calgary Downtown Campus
Commitment: 25 hours
This program is eligible for grant funding up to 5 weeks prior to program start date.
Professional Development Hours: Pre-approved by CPHR Alberta for 25 CPD hours
Negotiating is a daily practice. In business, we need to negotiate deliberately to achieve win-win outcomes. The aim of this program is to develop your capability to build important business relationships and networks and successfully navigate complex situations. This program is designed to learn and practice negotiating techniques over a period of time to embed your new knowledge and skills into daily habits.
During this blended program, you will learn how to critically analyze your position in negotiations and develop appropriate tactics to achieve your desired result. You will develop an awareness of strategies needed to handle difficult situations and avoid personal bias and other common pitfalls that often sabotage negotiations. In addition, you will build your negotiation communication skills and experience in class simulations to practice concepts and understand how different individuals approach the same simulation.
- Develop the strategic mindset to tackle various negotiation scenarios
- Identify and practice effective behaviours for achieving objectives
- Avoid common pitfalls and personal biases that limit effectiveness in negotiating
- Understand others’ positions while creating solid relationships
- Develop effective communication skills to identify and satisfy the needs of both parties
- Executives, managers and high potential leaders from a range of functional areas such as marketing, business development and operations management
- Entrepreneurs, key account managers, lawyers and procurement managers
- Managers leading cross-functional teams
- Landmen and anyone involved in mergers and acquisition activity
- Professionals involved in complex stakeholder relations
Loren Falkenberg, PhD
Loren Falkenberg is the Associate Dean (Strategic Initiatives) and a professor at the Haskayne School of Business. Loren regularly works with organizations on strategic planning and decision making. She has taught decision making/negotiations for 30 years, and is the co-academic director for the Directors’ Education Program in Calgary. She has published numerous studies, won research awards and is the case section editor for the Journal of Business Ethics.