Application and Acceptance
Applications for international exchange are submitted online - please read through all of the information on this page before submitting your application. Eligibility requirements can be found on the Eligibility & Courses page. Information about what is included in your online application is below.
After you have submitted your online application, you will be contacted with follow-up questions.
Competitive application deadline for Summer 2020, Fall 2020, Winter 2021: JANUARY 8, 2020
Note: students are chosen based on best fit during the competitive round.
Partners with available space after the competitive application round will be re-opened, and spaces will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis (eligible applicants only). Some partners may closer earlier than these final deadlines below; please contact an exchange advisor if you have any questions.
- Summer 2020: JANUARY 8, 2020
- Fall 2020: MARCH 15, 2020
- Winter 2021: OCTOBER 15, 2020
Note: The final deadline for Semester at Sea (Fall 2020 and Winter 2021) is APRIL 30, 2020.
Start preparing these pieces in advance for your online application. Applications can be started and saved before being submitted.
- Tell us why you want to go on exchange, why you have selected this host country and university (academic reasons, personal interest, career prospects, etc.), how this program will meet your academic objectives and/or complement your degree, how you plan to finance your exchange and why we should select you.
- The statement is part of the online application; compose it in advance in Word to check for spelling, grammar and word count, and have it ready.
- You do not have to submit a new statement for each application you submit, but it is recommended that you modify a section of each one to tell us why you have chosen that particular host university/country.
- Research the selected universities’ course offerings and prepare a list of tentative courses with course names/titles and numbers (course descriptions or timetabling not needed). You will need it for the online application.
- Course offerings can be found on the partner institutions websites, linked under our Exchange Partners page.
- Please note: Lists are tentative and often based on the host university's current or previous year's course offerings. You are not committed to these courses, we just want to be sure you’re familiar with the academic programs at each selected university and have plenty of suitable courses available. You do not need to confirm transfer credit for courses at this stage; this will be done after approval.
An ID-style or a regular, snapshot photo (i.e. passport, photo booth, etc.) for name/face recognition purposes. Upload it into the online application as a .jpg. If the file size is too large, you may get an error message when submitting your application.
Online Questionnaire (written)
All students who have successfully submitted an application for exchange online will be sent a link to the mandatory online questionnaire. This is primarily written answer, with one short video upload. This questionnaire helps us to determine “best fit” when reviewing applications, especially during the competitive round of applications.
Competitive Deadline Applications: the online questionnaire link will be emailed to all applicants shortly after the competitive deadline (above). Students will have approximately 10 days to complete the online questionnaire for this competitive round. Please check the email with the questionnaire link to confirm the deadline.
Final Deadline Applications: students who apply outside of the competitive application round can expect to be contacted by the exchange advisors regarding their application and online questionnaire with approximately 2 weeks of application submission.
The Haskayne exchange program specialists will review your application for your first choice host institution, ; We will review alternative choice host institutions only in the event that we cannot accept a student to their first choice host institution.
After you have received the acceptance email you will need to complete the Program Registration in RAISA. This is crucial information that is sent to Risk Management in the event of an emergency or situation while you are away. Please complete this Program Registration as soon as you receive acceptance to the exchange program. You can edit the host country contact information section after initial submission (IE after you arrive in the host country and confirm your contact details there).
If you ever have any questions about your exchange, please don't hesitate to contact us.