The downtowns of Canada's largest cities include many dynamic mixed-use real estate development projects. Technological advances, traffic congestion, and environmental concerns are some of the many factors that contribute to the rapid growth of mixed-use real estate planning and development. Gain an overview of the development process that incorporates complimentary residential, commercial, civic, and business uses into a single parcel or development concept area. Learn about mixed-use planning polices, development regulations, and the complete development process through expert industry speakers, exposure to case studies of active developments across Canada, and interaction with like-minded co-learners.
In-person classroom session: April 24 & 25, 2023 - 8:00am - 4:00pm
Site visit: April 24, 2023
Virtual capstone project presentation: May 1, 2023 - 4:00pm - 6:00pm
Commitment: 18 hours
Grant funding: This program could be eligible for grant funding that can cover up to 2/3 of the program costs. An Executive Education team member can help you bundle courses to meet the minimum hours needed for eligibility. For more information: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Participants come from a variety of fields including real estate development, banking, government, architecture, planning and engineering. The program is aimed for those who aspire to work in field of real estate development, expand understanding of the development process, and benefit from local expertise, perspectives and gain hands-on experience.
Participants who attend this course will learn to:
- Compare the advantages and disadvantages of mixed-use real estate planning and development across several regions of Canada.
- Identify and discuss important factors for leasing and selling mixed-use developments.
- Describe the basic principles of mixed-use development for a transit-oriented development.
- Recognize the role of planning policies, municipal approval, and development regulations on potential mixed-use projects.
- Apply specific criteria for site selection feasibility to produce a mixed-use development plan.
- Collaborate with co-learners to present mixed-use development plan to class.