Frequently Asked Questions

Outgoing Students

International Exchange is an exciting and sometimes overwhelming opportunity. This FAQ sheet should help answer some basic questions regarding international exchange through the Haskayne School of Business Undergraduate Programs Office; if you have further questions after reading this information, please don’t hesitate to contact one of our exchange advisors.

International Exchange (also sometimes called Study Abroad) is when a student spends a term taking classes at another institution in another country, which will be used towards their degree program here at the University of Calgary.

Our Exchange Partners are listed online here.

  • Please check the Application page for more details.
  • Regardless of any posters you may see around campus or information online, you must apply to the Haskayne exchange program first by the deadlines on our website. (Often the application information you see on posters and on partner institution’s websites is specifically for students who have been nominated on exchange. The Haskayne exchange advisors need to receive and review your application, and send your name as a nomination to the partner institution; after your nomination has been approved, then you will be asked to complete an application for the partner institution (and this is the deadline you will probably see on posters and websites).

More information is on the Eligibility & Courses page.

  • Before you leave for your exchange, you will contact an exchange advisor in Haskayne to discuss which courses you are interested in taking. If the course has been evaluated before, it will have the UofC equivalent noted on our Exchange Equivalencies Spreadsheet. If the course has not been evaluated, you will have to get a course outline from the host institution, and have it sent for evaluation prior to leaving for your exchange. Email outlines to
  • It is strongly recommended that you have alternative courses evaluated prior to leaving for exchanges, in case your first-choice courses are unavailable.
  • Students can request the Exchange Equivalencies Spreadsheet from an exchange advisor at anytime. 

A Letter of Permission is an electronic document on your student file at the UofC that guides Admissions when your transcripts are received after your exchange and credit needs to be posted. You apply for a Letter of Permission through your Student Centre, and will do this after you are settled into courses at your host institution and will not be making any changes. Often we don't complete our side of the Letter of Permission until transcripts are received, and then both documents go to the Admissions office for the credit to be posted.

More information can be found on the Costs & Funding page.

  • Many countries require a study visa or permit for students going on exchange. Our office does not have this information as it can change, and the requirements vary from country to country. It is very highly recommended that you check the government website for the country you will be studying in to confirm if a study visa or permit is required, and what the application process it.
  • Some countries require students have biometrics (fingerprints and photograph) done as part of the study visa/permit application process. This needs to be done in person at an embassy or consulate, which may mean travelling outside of Calgary.
  • Some countries require students to apply in person in an embassy or consulate for a study visa or permit, which again may mean travelling outside of Calgary.
  • APPROVAL LETTER: You may need the approval letter from the Haskayne Exchange Advisor for the study visa/permit application, and/or entry into the country when you travel. Keep a copy in your inbox, and take a printed copy with you when you travel.
  • ACCEPTANCE LETTER: You may also need the acceptance letter from the host institution for the study visa/permit application, and/or entry into the country when you travel. Keep a copy in your inbox, and take a printed copy with you when you travel.
  • PASSPORT: You will need a passport to travel. Check that your passport is not expired, and will not expire while you are away.
  • STUDY VISA: If applicable for your host country.
  • MEDICAL: Any documents related to any medical conditions you have should be taken with you, including prescriptions. (take copies if originals are not required).