With its home in downtown Calgary, SEDV strives to create strong industry partnerships as a bridge to the classroom. This level of integrated learning provides invaluable real-world context to broaden the perspectives of our students and enhance the overall academic experience.
SEDV Mentorship Program
The SEDV mentorship program provides students with the opportunity to learn from seasoned professionals through six one-on-one meetings between September and April. Students are provided with self-assessments and required orientation in advance of program launch so that they are prepared to think about their goals and come to meetings with their mentor well prepared. The program hosts events through the year offered jointly to mentors and mentees as well as events for only mentors or only mentees. A research project runs alongside the program, providing recommendations on best practices in many areas of the program.
Each year various companies contact our program in hopes of securing a capstone partnership with one of our students to further explore their proposed topic. While not required, many students find such a partnership beneficial as it is a real-world issue and a means of growing their network.
The graduate program, in connection with the School of Public Policy, offers a unique Speakers Series which brings in policy leaders from the public and private sector to speak with graduate students about the issues they are working on, as well as their own career development.
In the past, the speaker series has included the following speakers:
- Marcia Nelson, Former Deputy Minister of Executive Council of the Government of Alberta
- Gitane De Silva, CEO Canada Energy Regulator
- Chima Nkemdirim, Vice President, Government Relations, Shaw Communications
- Parliamentary Budget Officer, Yves Giroux
- Garret Smith, Indigenous Activist
- Dr. Malinda Smith, Vice-Provost (Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion), University of Calgary
- Carole Saab, CEO, Federation of Canadian Municipalities
- Celina Caesar-Chavannes, Author & former member of parliament
SEDV Society Speaker Series
Our student society hosts a monthly series inviting industry professionals to speak on varied topics of student interest.
By incorporating guests into regular their lectures, students gain a practical understanding of their course content. While depended on each course and professor, past courses have included speaks from the below, as well as many Indigenous Elders.
- Alberta Electricity System Operator
- Alberta Energy Regulator
- Alberta Environment & Parks
- Alberta Innovates
- Bow Valley Power
- National Energy Board
- Canadian Energy Research Institute
- Green Gate Power
- Imperial Oil
- Light Up the World
- Natural Resources Canada
- Pembina Institute
- SkyFire Energy
Whether it be arranged through a course or by student interest, our cohorts have taken full advantage of the energy rich environment. These are a few sites they have visited in the past.
- Solar Thermal Plant, Medicine Hat
- Biogeoscience Institute, Kananaskis
- DIRTT Environmental Solutions Ltd., Calgary
- Drake Landing Solar Community, Okotoks
- Edmonton Waste Management Center
- Alberta Innovates Technology Futures, Vegreville
- Himark Biogas, Vegreville
- Bonnybrook Wastewater Treatment Plant, Calgary
- Enmax Shepard Energy Center
- Glenmore Water Plant
- Pine Creek Wastewater Treatment Plant
- Inter Pipeline’s Cochrane facility