The Haskayne School of Business Library is a dynamic research library committed to providing a high level of service and resources to its clients. Online access to our resources and services is available at library.ucalgary.ca/business.
The following are just some of the services and resources provided by the Business Library to assist faculty in their research/teaching endeavours.
- Databases: The Business Library provides access to over 60 business and business-related databases both in the Library and off-campus. The Library also provides access to over 800 databases covering multiple disciplines and multiple formats such as video and images.
- Books: The Library has thousands of books both online and in paper copy. Our most current paper copy books are kept in the Business Library, while all other books can be obtained by placing a hold in the library catalogue.
- Article/Book Retrieval Service (MARS): Copies of articles and books may be requested using the electronic MARS request form available from the Business Library main page. Items will be delivered either electronically or to your office. If your item is not at UofC, we will order it for you from another institution. There is no charge for this service.
- Research Assistance: Whether you’re doing a literature review, graphing financial data or looking for hard-to-locate information our library staff are happy to provide in-depth assistance and work with you.
- Reference Service: Business Library staff can provide you with the answers to your questions. These questions can range from verifying a citation, finding industry statistics, or suggesting a relevant database. We’re available in person, by phone, or email.
- Course Development: The librarians at the Business Library can work with you to help ensure that the appropriate resources and services are available, and so that students can complete assignments and succeed in achieving the intended learning objectives.
- Instruction: While we are pleased to meet with students one-on-one to assist them with their research, the librarians at HSB also welcome the opportunity to provide in-class instruction. Whether discussing database search strategies; how to cite information; or relevant resources for an assignment: we are committed to helping HSB students obtain lifelong information literacy skills.
- Collection Development: Suggestions for new books and journals are welcome. They will be given careful consideration for purchase.
- Reserve Collection Service: The Business Library manages the collection of publications set aside for specific courses each term. This service allows maximum access to course-related materials, when large numbers of students need to use the material for a short period of time. Contact the Business Library with the list of publications, course notes, etc. that you wish to place on reserve for your courses.
- Alert Services. From our business databases you can have table of contents sent automatically to you (with direct links to the fulltext of the articles). The results of keyword searches in our database can also be sent to you periodically via email. Please contact the Business Library if you would like to set up this service.
- Citation Management Software: The University Library provides support in using EndNote, Mendeley and Zotero citation management software. For more information, check out our Bibliographic Software overview guide.
The Business Library has many databases covering a variety of business disciplines. Below is a sample of what we have available:
- Business Source Complete covers approximately 3000 fulltext scholarly business journals in fields that include management, economics, finance, accounting, and international business.
- Bloomberg: Online financial service that provides quotes and technical analysis of US and international securities. Also provides company, industry, market news, and historical economic data.
- CRSP (Centre for Research in Security Prices) provides access to NYSE/AMEX/Nasdaq Daily and Monthly Security Prices and other historical data related to over 20,000 companies. Accessible via WRDS.
- Compustat (Global version): Current and retrospective data on active firms (US, Canadian and International). Data fields include major items from financial statements. Accessible via WRDS.
- IBISWorld is a collection of U.S. and global industry market research and U.S. risk ratings. It contains business reports in five categories: industry market research, industry risk ratings and company research for the U.S., global industry research (including Canadian Industry Reports), and selected economic and demographic data. Market analysis components include overviews, industry performance and outlook, competitive and regulatory environment, major competitors, operational conditions and key statistics.
- MintGlobal contains information on over 150 million companies worldwide. The information on Mint Global includes company financials in a standardized format, financial strength indicators, directors and contacts, original filings/images, stock data, detailed corporate and ownership structures, industry research, business and company-related news, and M&A (mergers and acquisitions) deals and rumors.
- Passport provides business intelligence on countries, consumers and industries. It offers integrated access to statistics, market reports, company profiles and information sources. Coverage is global, more than 200 countries are researched.
- ThomsonONE provides financial analyst reports, market news, quotes and comprehensive reference data to monitor changing market conditions and gain insight into companies, industries or events. Modules including: Deals, Analyst Research, Broker Estimates, Private Equity and more.