We have designed our FAQ page to help navigate some commonly asked questions. You can easily find the answers to your commonly asked question by visiting the corresponding section or by using our search tool. If you cannot find what you are looking for, or our answers do not help to answer your question, please feel free to consult your area’s Teaching and Learning Coordinator.
The Office of Teaching and Learning
1. Who is part of the Office of Teaching and Learning?
The Office of Teaching and Learning is comprised of the Associate Dean (Teaching and Learning), a Teaching and Learning Specialist, a Community Based Learning Advisor, Teaching and Learning Analyst, and four Teaching and Learning Coordinators. Click here for more information about the team.
2. Who is my area’s Teaching and Learning Coordinator?
Please connect with the Teaching and Learning Coordinator in your area if you have any questions:
3. What else can the Office of Teaching and Learning do for me?
The Office of Teaching and Learning can help with a variety of things, including:
- Teaching skills and information on pedagogy and assessment
- Opportunities to partake in teaching mentorship programs
- Workshops related to teaching, assessment, etc.
- Information on and help implementing a variety of teaching tools and technologies
- Help with utilizing the Learning Management System (LMS)
- Help with applications for teaching grants and awards
- Help with investigating the impact of specific pedagogies, teaching tools, assessment tools, etc. (otherwise known as Scholarship of Teaching and Learning, or SoTL)
Teaching Classes at Haskayne
1. Where can I find my class list?
You can find your class list in your MyUofC account under the Academic tab → My Course Schedule → select your course from the list by clicking on the head icon.
2. Where can I find previous course outlines for my current course?
You can find previous course outlines on the shared S:drive in the “Course Outline” folder.
5. How do I request a registrar-scheduled final exam?
Your Teaching and Learning Coordinator will contact you about this request a few months ahead of term.
7. Where can I find the policies around assessment and grade distributions?
The is Academic Regulations table of contents are available in the academic calendar here: http://www.ucalgary.ca/pubs/calendar/current/academic-regs.html
8. Where can I find the email addresses of my students?
You can find a list of student email addresses through your D2L page.
To pull an excel list of email addresses for your class log in to D2L → Assessments → Grades → Enter Grades → Export → select Email under 'User Details' → Export to Excel
You can also find a list of student email addresses through your MyUofC account: Academic → Teaching Schedule → select head icon → click on excel sheet icon to download Excel list
9. How do I book a classroom?
Contact your Teaching and Learning Coordinator to book a classroom. The earlier you make this request, the better, as there is high demand for space on campus.
11. How do I request and hire someone to help with marking?
You may have someone in mind who took your class in a previous semester or who was referred to you by another faculty member. If none of these apply to you, you can ask your respective Teaching and Learning Coordinator for the contact information of markers who are eligible and willing to help with marking for your course.
12. What is the curriculum alignment tool?
The curriculum alignment tool is a detailed survey on each class taught, completed at 5-year intervals that helps map student learning across the program at Haskayne. You will receive notification about completing the Curriculum Alignment Tool (CAT) Teaching and Learning Coordinator will be on hand to answer any questions you may have about the tool.
13. How do I know if I need to complete AACSB assessments?
If your course is one in which an AACSB assessment is to be completed, Victoria Reid, the Teaching and Learning Specialist, will contact you 6-8 weeks before the start of the term. She will outline what assessments you need to complete, ensure that you are familiar and comfortable with the process, and work with you to make sure you have the resources you need.
1. How do I log in to D2L?
Go to http://d2l.ucalgary.ca and log in with your IT username and password. Your home page will have a list of your available courses. If you do not see your course, please consult your area’s Teaching and Learning Coordinator.
3. How do I upload my course outline and other course content to D2L?
To upload your course outline, please click on the "Content" tab in the red navigation bar, and then click "overview. Here you will be able to write a welcome message to your students as well as add your course outline.
To add course content, please see a detailed set of instructions here.
4. How do I set up my gradebook in D2L?
Please click here for a comprehensive set of resources on how to set up your grade book properly in D2L. Please do not hesitate to consult with your Area Teaching and Learning Coordinator to double check that the gradebook is set up properly.
5. How do I set up a dropbox for students to submit assignments in D2L?
Please see here for a detailed set of instructions on setting up a dropbox in D2L. You can also consult with your Teaching and Learning Coordinator to ensure that your Dropbox is set up properly.
6. How do I make my course site visible to students in D2L?
- In your D2L course navigate to Edit Course > Course Offering Information
- Select Course is Active
- Click Save